Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The Road to Recovery

Well, I guess it's time to update on how things are going. Trevor is growing like a weed already and the older two are adjusting to life with a newborn in the house. Camden has been acting up over the littlest of things, but I expected that from him. I think we may be over the worst though....we'll see. Josiah dotes on his little brother and is constantly looking to see where mommy has put him (in the swing, the bassinet, or is he hiding under that blanket???)

For those of you who are interested in details, my delivery was the best one so far. They induced me at 12:00 noon, but the contractions really didn't pick up until 2 or 2:30....and by then my epidural was in place and working :) I could still feel enough (trust me!) and Joel was terrific at keeping me focused and relaxed. At 5:00 my OB came into the room and at 5:12 Trevor was here. It definately was much faster than I ever anticipated and I felt really good afterwards....however.....

My recovery has been the most difficult one so far. I separated my pubic bone during delivery and was unable to walk without assistance the first night after Trevor was born. I had been experiencing pain for several months, but the delivery pushed my body to its limits. After returning home, I started experiencing some pretty intense back pain. Joel took me to the ER on Saturday at the advice of my OB. It turns out that I strained my back during delivery too....Of course they said, "go home and rest." The ER doc wrote a few prescriptions for painkillers and muscle relaxers, but I haven't filled them. Doing so would mean putting Trevor on formula until the meds clear my system....and that's not a route I'm willing to take right now.

I went to the chiropractor today (hooray for Dr. Craig) and got some much needed relief! Basically, I have a pinched nerve and a lumbar strain. I was pretty out of whack, but we made a little progress. A few visits over the next week or so should get me back to somewhat normal. The pubic bone issue will have to resolve itself with rest and time.

Despite all of this, I feel great health-wise. The struggle now is taking it easy when I want to be up and around a lot more. My goal is to get to the Mother-Daughter tea (with my son...ha ha) this Saturday, or at least church on Sunday. We'll see.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Dawn- Glad to hear that the delivery went well. I love hearing other people's stories! I am sorry that you are having a hard time recovering. It's so hard to not feel well and to be tired and have to care for a newborn and other kids. I hope you continue to get better.