Monday, November 05, 2007

Be careful with that pencil or you'll...

....Scratch your cornea...badly! I guess I need to make sure my van is gassed up twice a year. That seems to be the average rate of emergency doctor's visits by people under the age of 5 that live in my house.
This morning Camden and Josiah were playing together nicely....or so I thought. I had sat down at the computer to check my email when Camden came running, holding his eye. He was crying that silent as-soon-as-I-breathe-I'm-going-to-scream cry. And scream he did!
I took him to the living room (where the lighting is better) where I found Josiah and his fistful of colored pencils. Oh dear! Memories of Clue haunt me....It was Josiah, in the living room, with the colored pencils....Josiah had hit Camden with his prismatic ammunition and scratched Camden's eye. A quick exam by Nurse Mommy found that there was indeed a large scratch.
I called our wonderful pediatrician, Dr. Ewles, who told me to go to Dr. O'Malley immediately. Dr. O'Malley is a Pediatric Opthomologist, and he was wonderful with Camden.
So now Camden is the White Patched Pirate of the Gearhart home. He'll return to the eye doctor tomorrow and Wednesday to have his injury reexamined. Until then, he's bound to the couch sedated with Tylenol with Codeine.

3 comments:

Val said...

Oh my!!! Now you can be a mom that really is serious when you say "Be careful with that pencil or you'll poke your eye out". We all say that right, but have never truly experienced it. Wow!!! I just can't believe it. How is Camden today?? Oh, and what will his pay back be to his sweet brother??? :)

Dawn said...

He's fine today. The eye is completely fine!!

Anonymous said...

Oh well, there goes the jokes I was working on. Like what do you call a boy with one eye...

Its good to hear he will be okay.


Jim