Thursday, February 21, 2008

A ministry first

Yesterday was the funeral for Joe Vermeersch. Joe was the father of two girls from our youth group, and he passed away last Saturday. I must say, this was much more difficult than I had ever imagined. I've been to funerals, obviously--most of them for family members. But it is so hard to see someone you love grieving!
We've been at Macomb for 4 1/2 years and we really love our teens. Try as I may, I can't take away the grief and pain, the confusion and anger, the frustration and despair. I can't make this all better no matter how much I want to. I can offer a shoulder, some Scripture and a listening ear.
The girls asked for Joel to speak at the funeral, and he presented the gospel clearly to a room full of mourners. Perhaps God will use Joe's death to bring someone to a saving knowledge of Christ. Perhaps this will help the girls grow stronger in Christ.

One thing I do know--as I sat there yesterday, I was so thankful that I know where I'm headed. I know that Christ died for me so that I can have eternal life. I know that I've repented of my sin (though I still do sin....) and that I've accepted His free gift of eternal life. Have you?

My heart is heavy as I listen to the song "Grace" playing in the background. Please pray that these girls and their family will have God's grace to deal with this trial.

Grace

Lord, as I seek
Your guidance for today,
I find my thought unyielding,
confusion crowds my way.
But then when I bow to to You,
the challenges You guide me through,
Your promises are ever new,
I claim them for today.

Your will cannot lead me,
where Your grace will not keep me.
Your hands will protect me,I rest in Your care.
Your eyes will watch over me.Your love will forgive me.
And when I am faltering,
I still will find You there.

Each new day's design
Is charted by Your hand,
And graciously revealed
As I seek your master plan
Keep my footsteps faithful,
when from you I go,
Return me to the joy
That your blessings can bestow

Your will cannot lead me,
where Your grace will not keep me.
Your hands will protect me,I rest in Your care.
Your eyes will watch over me.Your love will forgive me.
And when I am faltering,
I still will find You there.

1 comment:

Val said...

Sometimes what we feel is the least we can give (shoulder, Scripture, and listening ear) are the most important things needed. No one will ever take away those other things but God. I know you know that, but you were there for me in the same situation so I know you will be there for those girls now.