Thursday, April 03, 2008

Homemade Laundry Detergent

So, I've been looking for ways to be frugal and make every dollar stretch. I had read online about making my own laundry detergent and finally gave it a try. Here's the "recipe":

1 Bar of Fels Naptha soap, grated
1 Cup Borax
1 Cup Washing Soda

Mix and keep in an airtight container. Add 1 Tablespoon (a formula scoop works great!) to each regular load of laundry. Use 2 Tbs. for tougher loads. So far it seems to be working great...and I can be kind of a "laundry soap" snob.

I've been using Borax and Washing soda for lots of things around here...with much success! So, how do you pinch pennies?

5 comments:

Angie said...

I have seen recipes like this before but never knew where to get Washing Soda. Is it the same as Baking Soda? I would love to try it. I can't handle all the perfumes they put in laundry soap and they just discontinued my "cheap" unscented soap.

Angie said...

Oh, I have tried a homemade dishwasher soap. It is basically half borax half baking soda. But I found that it leaves a white powder on the dishes. They suggest putting some vinegar in the rinse but who has time to watch for the rinse cycle on the dishwasher.

Dawn said...

Angie,

I found washing soda in the same aisle as the detergent. It came in a yellow box from Arm and Hammer. It is a different texture than baking soda.

I saw something about dishwasher soap too, and I added vinegar to my rinse-aid dispenser...but I like Jet dry better! So much for being frugal there!

Kristin said...

Wow! I'm impressed! Homemade laundry soap?! You're my hero! I don't even know what any of those ingredients are! And what else do you use Borax and washing soda for?

DAWN said...

I found the recipe online...and it's still working great. I use Borax and Washing soda for cleaning lots of things (floors, general all purpose stuff....I make a mixture and use it in a spray bottle.) Borax is great for cleaning drains too. Drano was doing NOTHING for our slow tub....I tried Borax and it worked like a charm!