Saturday, April 04, 2009

Homemade Pizza Recipe

Several of my friends have asked for my pizza recipe. I must be honest and tell you that the crust recipe is not originally mine - it is from a collection of family favorites that my mother in law gave me when Joel and I were engaged. The sauce recipe is one that I've tinkered with for a few years. If you try it, let me know what you think!

Pizza Crust: I've made this using the dough cycle on my bread machine, but now use the dough hook on my kitchen aid. You could always knead it by hand, but I'm too lazy!

1 1/3 Cups hot water
2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast (equivalent of 1 package, but I buy my yeast in bulk)
4-5 Cups flour
2 tablepoons of oil (I use Olive oil, and sometimes add a tad extra)
2 tablespoons of honey (do the olive oil first, then use the same spoon for the honey and it will all come out of the spoon very easily!)
A dash of salt.

Dissolve the yeast in the water in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and knead until smooth and elastic. You may need more water or flour depending on the humidity levels in your home. Add more water or flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed.

Let dough rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in size. Punch down and divide, the roll out for crust. This recipe makes enough dough for 2 large pizzas.

Sauce: I'm giving approximations because I rarely measure when I cook (unless specifics are needed, like the dough recipe). You may need to adjust for your own personal preferences.

1 Can (15 oz) tomato sauce
Italian spices
Fresh garlic (I use a garlic press)
Oregano
Sugar
Olive Oil

Crush 2 cloves of garlic, mix with some italian spices and about a tablespoon of oregano. Heat in a sauce pan with a couple tablespoons of olive oil, 1/8 cup of water and about 1/3 cup of sugar (s0metimes a little more...Joel likes it sweet). Once hot and bubbly, stir in tomato sauce. Heat thoroughly. I do this all in one sauce pan (I hate using too many things to accomplish such a small task.)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Dawn! I have such happy memories of your pizza! Our first dates were with you guys in your teeny apartment (which would eventually be ours!) enjoying some of that pizza! Thanks for being our matchmaker!
Remember those lovely yellow cabinets in the kitchen? And the carpet? Beautiful!
I think I may just try your recipe tonight to remember old times.
I hope you all are well! Hope you had a great Mother's Day! You're such a great mommy!
Karen

Jennifer said...

mmmmm! sounds yummy!

you have a super cool blog!