Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Distance


For most of my adult life, I have not lived near my side of the family. For a short time we were in Watertown while Jen was there, but then we came to Michigan. For the past 6+ years, we generally get to see my parents once a year (maybe) and even then it's only for a day or two and is usually accompanied by a big event, like a wedding or a funeral. We've taken 2 vacations to NH (3 years apart), been to a few weddings, and seen family as they pass from one location to another. Thanksgiving and Christmas are celebrated with the help of Verizon and the United States Postal Service.
So today, I'm thankful for technology. Since I don't have the luxury of spending near the time I'd like with my family, I'm at least happy that with the push of a button I can have Jen on the phone with me. I can hop in the car and be at Jim's house in 3 hours (he's lives the closest to me). I can call Bob and Mandy late at night because they're in a different time zone and it's not late there. I can call Crystal and relive some of my Melford days. I know my Dad will probably call the next time he's on the road and my Mom almost always calls on her way home from work on Wednesdays.
What are YOU thankful for today?

No comments: