Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Trevor

When Trevor was about 6 months old, I noticed a funny noise when he would nurse. It was grinding sound....sort of like the strong growl you have when you haven't eaten in all day.

I mentioned this to our pediatrician, and it was noted then that his chest was abnormal. Not necessarily a problem, but something to keep our eyes on.

Last Monday (May 24) I took Trevor in for his 3 year well visit. During the visit I mentioned that Joel and I are more concerned about this deformity and that it seems to have gotten worse in the last 6-8 weeks. Our pediatrician (different doctor, same practice) decided that we should have Trevor's chest x-rayed to rule out any major problems.

I left the office and went straight to the St. John center on 12 Mile. I knew we'd be able to get the x-rays done that afternoon. Once the technician did the first set of films, I knew that she saw something because she called another tech to take a look. Together they decided to do another set of films from another angle. Hmmm...

Well, Dr. Schomaker called on Wednesday as soon as he got the radiologists report and reviewed the films himself. Our sweet Trevor has a diaphragmatic hernia on the right side. Now what?

Well, it certainly means surgery is in the near future for our littlest Gearhart. We have an appointment on Monday, June 7 with a Pediatric Surgeon. Right now we don't have a time frame or really very many details about what is going to happen. I have googled enough to know that I shouldn't google at all when it comes to my kids and a medical diagnosis! Lots of scary info out there!

Please pray with us that the surgeon will have wisdom in dealing with Trevor. I am so thankful that we have the opportunity to have this treated and that we are getting help before any major problems occurred.

Trevor is in no pain and really has no symptoms other than what you can see by looking at him. I will update more after we meet with the surgeon.

Here is a link about diaphragmatic hernias. While Trevor is not an infant, at least it give some info.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'm praying Dawn!

*Hugs*