1. What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?
We made a summer bucket list and tried to squeeze as much into our summer as possible. It was a blast!
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Last New Year's was really hard, so I don't remember making any resolutions other than just getting through life one day at a time.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My sister-in-law, Kristin, had Cal in March.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My Grandpap Shaffer passed away on our anniversary, June 24.
5. What countries did you visit?
None other than our own :) Joel and I went to SC in May for a wedding.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
A ministry where we can serve vocationally.
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Jan. 9 and 16 - our last 2 Sundays at our old church.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finishing our first (and only?) year of homeschooling.
9. What was your biggest failure?
You always wonder how you will handle trials when they come. I must say that I didn't handle this one very well....but God is good and gives grace!
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not really, just still working through thyroid stuff.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
We took a trip to Greenville, SC in May for a wedding....while a trip isn't an object, it was the first getaway for Joel and I in a very long time, and we needed it! So, it was the best money spent this year.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Joel's - He works harder now (physically) than he ever had to in our first 10 1/2 years of marriage. He provides for us and leads us. I'm thankful for a husband that desires to please God, even when the road is difficult.
13. Where did most of your money go?
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan - this is the first time we've had to pay our own healthcare premiums....yuck!
14. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Finding a new church to call home for a while. We are thankful for Maranatha and the healing balm it has been to us.
15. What song will always remind you of 2011?
There are several...music does wonders for my soul! Here are a few....
**Beneath the Cross (Getty) - this was the song Joel sang our last night at Macomb
**Still, My Soul Be Still (Getty) - the Chorus says "God,you are my God and I will trust in you and not be shaken."
16. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
Happier - God has shown Himself mighty in so many ways. Yes, this year has been tough...but I know He is in control. 2011 had some rough days, but there were lots of great days too!
17. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Moving (LOL) but I know that is coming....
18. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Looking at job boards and ministry listings....but I know there is a reason why God hasn't given us a new ministry yet.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
We like Blue Bloods and NCIS.
20. What was the best book you read?
Loving the Little Years - helped keep things in perspective
21. What was your favorite film of this year?
Ramona and Beezus - it was an instant family favorite
22. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
23. What kept you sane?
Sending my kids back to school.
24. What political issue stirred you the most?
No one issue...just gearing up for the onslaught of political ads.