Wednesday, January 02, 2013

2012 Year in Review

I've done this a couple of times.  You can see last year's list here

1. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?

I became a substitute teacher.  I've taught before (both in schools and as a homeschooler) but this is a new adventure for me.

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Um...I don't know if I had any to be honest, so I guess not!  I'm not really a resolution maker....I'm constantly realizing areas that need to change...

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

My cousin, Erin, had a baby.  Other than that, nope.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Thankfully, no.

5.  Which countries did you visit?

We didn't venture very far this year.

6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?

A real family vacation.  Due to a move and other circumstances, a vacation didn't happen.

7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

July 15 - we said goodbye to our Roseville home.  We signed our name in the rafters of the attic and drove away.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Hmmm....I re-taught myself how to knit and used that skill to make Christmas gifts for the women on our list.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Organization.  One of these years I'll master it.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Yes, in February I had pneumonia.  It took a LONG time to get back to full health.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

Stocking stuffers.  I shopped after last Christmas and tucked some things away, so it was nice to have that done already!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

Our boys have adapted well.  We've had some rough days and some transitional times, but they've done so very well!

13. Where did most of your money go?

Bill.  He shows up in my mailbox and demands that I send him money multiple times every month.  He has a problem!!

14. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

We moved closer to our church and to a much safer area.

15. What song will always remind you of 2012?

"I'll Never Forsake You"

O soul, are you weary from wave upon wave
Of grief and affliction whom no man can save?
Has sickness surrounded, or unending night?
Uncertainty stolen your joy and your might?
O doubting, o fearful– remember His care,
The helpless and hopeless need never despair
For from your afflictions His glory shall spring–
The deeper your sorrow, the louder you’ll sing!
Remember your Father– His promise, His love:
“I’ll never forsake you, this pain will not break you,
For I will remake you for unending joy;
My promise is faithful though now it is painful;
No power can trample my covenant love.”
Remember your Savior– His grief and His pain,
The lonely affliction, unmerited shame.
Though you had betrayed Him, He died in your place;
The joy set before Him He offers by grace.
Remember your Father– His promise, His love:
“I’ll never forsake you, this pain will not break you,
For I will remake you for unending joy;
My promise is faithful though now it is painful;
No power can trample my covenant love.”


16. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?

I'd have to say happier.  God has never failed us.  Trials have come and still continue to bear down at times, but we have our God to guide and care for us.  I'm happy.

17. What do you wish you'd done more of?

Travel - one thing I miss about ministry is the trips we would take with our teens.  Also, we need to take a vacation (I think I mentioned that, lol!)

18. What do you wish you'd done less of?

Packing and unpacking boxes.  While I am oh so ready for God to give us a new ministry, I loathe the idea of moving again!!

19. What was your favorite TV program? 

We like Blue Bloods and I want to give Downton Abby a try.

20. What was the best book you read?

We're working through Knowing God by Packer for our Bible study at church.  It's been the most profitable.  I also read The Hunger Games.  That was the best "pleasure" reading I did this year.

21. What was your favorite film of this year?

I found Obama 2016 to be informative.  I enjoyed The Dark Night and Spiderman.  Snow White and the Huntsman was not so wonderful.  My favorite though?  Hands down:  "October Baby"

22. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?

Don't wear anything that my sister would be embarrassed by :)

23. What kept you sane?

Joel - he's sure and steady.  God was gracious to give me a husband who is a rock!

24. What political issue stirred you the most?

Ah, the 2012 election season brought many topics to debate.  Benghazi, gay marriage and healthcare reform have been discussed a lot around here!

No comments: